Yes, And… 90/10 for Better Decisions

July 5, 2024


What if I told you that our traditional understanding of decision-making is flawed? It is less a rational analysis of pros and cons and more of a delicate interplay of autonomy, intuition, and purpose. Dan Pink, renowned author of Drive and To Sell Is Human, urges us to reconsider our approach. In Drive, Pink reveals that the secret to effective decision-making lies in the balance between autonomy and external influence. When we harness our inner compass and align it with our intrinsic motivation, we unlock the true power of decision-making. Here’s a nice breakdown of Pink’s main arguments.


One of our biggest challenges as leaders is the overwhelming desire to make good decisions. We want to be efficient, thorough, and correct. We also want to be quick, which often leads to the opposite of what we want: impulsiveness. The 90/10 rule for decision making states that as leaders, only 10 percent of decisions require us to be right 100 percent of the time. The other 90 percent of decisions just need to be made, and there is room to react and adapt (improvise) as the consequences of the decisions unfold. The true skill lies within finding balance between autonomy and external influence to know when you’re dealing with a 10 percent decision.

25 FOR 25: #2

Maybe you’ve heard of the 90/10 rule used in other applications. It’s rather ubiquitous business-acumen these days. The origin is inspired by Stephen Covey who simply, yet profoundly, stated that: “10% of life is made up of what happens to you, and 90% of life is decided by how you react.” The way we react to the decisions presented to us is one of the big deciding factors in finding that balance to make the right type of decision. Slow the brain down, allow your natural intelligence to rise to the surface, and rely on your intuition!


Check out how our natural intelligence rises to the surface on stage, in this improvised song. Fun Facts: Hair #1 is our very own Bob Kulhan, the male singer is Business Improv instructor and producer, Stuart Ranson, and dancing hair #3 is Thomas Middleditch!

For more free tips from Business Improv, scroll down to sign up for our newsletter and then keep an eye out for the “Yes, And…” subject line in your inbox!